15 Ohio Fun Facts
- Do you know what "Ohio" means? It comes from the Iroquois word meaning "Great River".
- Our winters can be brutal at times. Northeast Ohio averages almost 4 sub-zero-days each winter.
- Ohio is the top producer of Swiss Cheese in the U.S.A.
- The Ohio State Tree is the Buckeye tree.
- The Ohio State Flower is the Carnation.
- Our State Bird is the Cardinal.
- The Ohio State Motto is "With God all things are possible".
- Ohio's state song is Beautiful Ohio. Mary Earl, whose real name was Robert A. "Bobo" King, composed the music. Ballard MacDonald wrote the original lyrics to the 1918 song. In 1989, with the permission of the Ohio legislature, Wilbert B. McBride altered the lyrics.
- Ohio State vegetable is the tomato.
- The Ohio state animal is the whitetail deer. The white-tailed deer became the official state wild animal in 1988. The black racer became the state reptile in 1995. The black racer is a snake.
- The Ohio Burgee is the official flag of the state of Ohio. Ohio's swallowtail flag is the only non-rectangular U.S. state flag. It's red, white, and blue elements symbolize the state's natural features and order of admission into the Union.
- Admission to Statehood: March 1, 1803 (17th State)
Area: 44,828 sq.mi, 34th.
Constitution: Ohio's Constitution, 17th State.
Capital City: Columbus.
Nickname: Buckeye State
- Ohio halls of fame and museums. We have too many to list. Click here for a very nice list. Click Here
- Ohio is home to the highest number of Amish congregations. Amish have made their home in Ohio since 1808 when the first settlers moved west from Somerset County in Pennsylvania to settle the hills and valleys of eastern Ohio.
- Largest Ohio employers. Walmart, with 173 retail operations and five distribution centers, has 50,500 employees in Ohio, according to the Ohio Development Services Agency. Cleveland Clinic, headquartered in Cleveland but with medical facilities concentrated throughout northern Ohio, is second in the 2017 rankings with 49,050 employees. this can change yearly.
You may have seen our TV commercials or read one of our many helpful articles online. We have been helping people just like you for over 40 years. We are ready to help you. Call the Eshelman Legal Group today for your free initial no obligation consultation. Call: 1-800-365-0001 "We'll Make Things Right"
The attorneys at the Eshelman Legal Group understand that no matter how cautious you are, others may not be so careful, and accidents do happen. So we hope you don’t need to, but if you are in a situation where you need the advice of an personal injury attorney, the Eshelman Legal Group is here to help you. For over 40 years we have been assisting accident victims, and we are here to assist you too... because “We’ll make things right.”
Ask yourself this question… who does the adjuster work for? The adjuster works for the insurance company, they do not work for you.